Monday, April 03, 2006

Mujirushi

I have a confession to make: I am addicted. To Mujirushi, also known as Muji* in it's western locations (primarily UK and a few other countries in the EU). Mujirushi means "no name" and it is a store that sells what they call "no brand goods". Other people might describe it as the Ikea of Japan and I must confess that i fear that if I lived in Japan my place would look like a Mujirushi showcase, just like my old place looked like an Ikea showcase... I'm detecting a pattern here. Anyway, i must also confess, that i am a happy addict - if there is a cure, I don't want it, i just love love love that store... My language school coordinators** were so nice to point me to the flagship Tokyo location earlier today -- there is a about a million of them here -- but only one that goes over three floors -- the one located in Yurakucho, which is conveniently situated on of 'my' train lines, albeit over an hour from my house (which on the other hand is right next door in Tokyo terms). So, I spent about 3 hours in shopping heaven today, i had to really, because it was rush hour and i had to wait for it to pass in order to not end like a danish sardine on the way home on the train, really that was the only reason, I swear...

Check out Mujirushi @ Yurakucho here:
www.mujiyurakucho.com/
(the left column links will show you the goods)

* Interestingly i also learned today that the westernized name doesn't necessarily make that much sense: in japanese that name Mujirushi is made up of two kanjis: "mu" (no/nothing) & "jirushi" (name/brand), so the Muji abbreviation is sort of butchered.

** By the way: They didn't seem to quite share my excitement, they're probably wondering why western people swoon over the equivalent to the Gap or so. Never mind, more Muji for me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just to note, that in Russian Mujirushi sounds like "Destroy men", and it does not necessarily mean financially.

Anonymous said...

Just as plausible in Russian - Moo, fat, fish soup.

Adrian Greystoke said...

kyousei hari :-)