Friday, May 26, 2006

日本語がだいすきです。I love Japanese!

A bit more on this topic... I'm not really sure why learning Japanese is such a whale of a time, but it reminds me a bit of when I was in second grade and went through 3 years worth of Danish-books within 6 months [-- which had the unfortunate side effect of driving my teacher crazy, something for which she blames me to this day & which has led to unpleasant screaming scenarios in downtown Augustenborg, DK when visit my family, no joke, but way too much information I realize :)].

I think i get my language kick from the feeling of entering a new world, it is as if i am slowly opening a door to a wonderful world and given my impatient tendencies, the desire to fling the door open instead makes me greedily want to absorb as much information as in any way possible on any given day... Successfully buying stamps at the post office [-- while explaining that i want to send these 5 cards now and get 5 extra stamps for later - "so you mean 10 stamps total?"] or ordering my morning coffee at Starbucks and finally being able to explain that i want it in the take out cup [in 'real' japanese, rather than resorting to the 'take-out-o kudasai' cheating route] are great little moments of new found language joy.

So, there it is, i'm a language Geek (-- language Otaku?! :) and loving it :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whenever I use my French, people answer in English. As soon as I say 'OK' they then think I'm American. Can it get worse? I bought the Rosetta Stone language CDs now. Maybe that helps.
Oh, and I saw a French movie the other day. I thought I understood the story. But then the wrong guy got shot. It will remain a mystery.
mtm